Hello,I am new for C++.The following are the codes I wrote to calculate the sum of 2^n. The result is 2046 after running the program.That is correct. But when I change the condition to n<=100,the result comes with -2,which is obviously wrong.Then I tried different n and found if n<=30,the right result can be obtained but if n>=31 the result is always -2.Can someone tell me where my mistake lies and how I can solve it? Thank you.

#include<iostream> 

int main()

{

int n=1,a=1,sum=0;

while(n<=10) {

a=2*a;

sum=sum+a;

n=n+1;

}

std::cout <<"The result is "<<sum

<<std::endl;

return 0;

}

You're probably going past the bounds of what an integer can store and getting an overflow. An integer in a 32 bit system overflows at 2^31, I believe. It cannot hold anything higher than that.

Use link list to represent big number else overflow will happen.

I'm not sure if you care or not, but your sum variable does not include the value when n = 0 (1).

This is off-topic, but it is good thing to know. 2^n can be easily done by using bitwise operator.

a = 1;
a =<< n;

Hello,I am new for C++.The following are the codes I wrote to calculate the sum of 2^n. The result is 2046 after running the program.That is correct. But when I change the condition to n<=100,the result comes with -2,which is obviously wrong.Then I tried different n and found if n<=30,the right result can be obtained but if n>=31 the result is always -2.Can someone tell me where my mistake lies and how I can solve it? Thank you.

You don't have a problem, just lack of knowledge, as described by VernonDozier.

You're probably going past the bounds of what an integer can store and getting an overflow. An integer in a 32 bit system overflows at 2^31, I believe. It cannot hold anything higher than that.

This is exactly what the problem is...

please wrap ur code

In what? Saran Wrap?

i think use a long

int and long are identical in most compilers today.

Use link list to represent big number else overflow will happen.

Did you miss the first 6 words of the OP's post? And linked lists don't fix overflows.