Hope someone can help. I'm self-studying from C++ Primer Plus, 5th Edition. I'm having trouble working out why the following two files will not compile. I'm using Dev-C++, under Windows Vista.

/*
  Name: bankaccount.h
  Copyright: 
  Author: Steven Taylor
  Date: 28/01/08 14:04
  Description: C++ Primer Plus, Chapter 10, Programming Exercise. #1. Page 496
*/
#ifndef BANKACCOUNT_H_
#define BANKACCOUNT_H_
class BankAccount
{
    private:
        char name[40];
        char acctnum[25];
        double balance;
    public:
        BankAccount(const char *client, const char *num, double bal = 0.0);
        void deposit(double cash);
        void withdraw(double cash);
        void show() const;
}
#endif

And this file:

/*
  Name: bankaccount.cpp
  Copyright: 
  Author: Steven Taylor
  Date: 28/01/08 14:03
  Description: BankAccount class methods. C++ Primer Plus, Chap 10, page 496
*/
#include <iostream>
#include <cstring>
#include "bankaccount.h"

BankAccount::BankAccount(const char *client, const char *num, double bal)
{           // error reported here - cannot 
    strncpy(name,client,39);
    name[39] = '\0';
    strncpy(acctnum, num,24);
    acctnum[25] = '\0';
    balance = bal;
}

When trying to compile the above I get an error reported in the second file at the first brace indicating 13 D:\Users\Steve\Documents\LearningCpp\LearningCppPrimer\Chapter-10\PE-01\bankaccount.cpp new types may not be defined in a return type Very next error message is 13 return type specification for constructor invalid Both files are in the same directory. Can somebody point me in the right direction.

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by superjacent

Further, when I combine these two files into one file, for ease of compilation, I get the same compiler error message. So I suppose it's not related to a multiple file thing.

I think the problem is line 21 of the header file -- you have to have a semicolon at the end of the class. Put a semicolon after that closing brace.

I think the problem is line 21 of the header file -- you have to have a semicolon at the end of the class. Put a semicolon after that closing brace.

Thank you, how did I not see that.

I'm now getting another compiler error indicating this [Linker error] undefined reference to `WinMain@16' .

From another editor, Programmers Notepad, where all the above is just a single file I get the same error message, though with a little more detail, I assuming it's the same error > "C:\Dev-Cpp\bin\g++.exe" singlefile.cpp -o singlefile.exe and next line is

C:/Dev-Cpp/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/../../../libmingw32.a(main.o)(.text+0x106):main.c: undefined reference to `WinMain@16'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I'm at a loss interpreting this.

You apparently created a Windows application, not a Console application. The easiest correction is to start a new console project then copy what you have done into it.

And your program must have a main() function.

You apparently created a Windows application, not a Console application. The easiest correction is to start a new console project then copy what you have done into it.

And your program must have a main() function.

Thank you once again, I quickly added a blank int main() function and it compiled without error. I shouldn't forget this gotcha in future.

ps. I probably should have created a new thread for my second question as the first was well and truly solved. Anyway, I'll mark this thread as solved.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.