#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <cmath>
using namespace std;
				//Begin by defining the functions that are to be called in the main program
double f (double x)	//Function 1 Finding 1/x, the integrand, this shall be called f
	{						//Function 1 Body
		double y;
		y=1.0/x;
		return y;
	}						//End of Function 1

double trap (int n, double a, double b) //Function 2 Calculation of the areas of the strips, called trap
	{
	double d, h=0, area;
	d=(b-a)/n;		//d=Strip Width, "a" and "b" are the upper and lower bounds of the integral
	for (int i=1, i<=(n-1), i++)
	{
	y+=(f((a+(i*d))));						//This sums the y values from 1 to (n-1)
	}
	area=(d*y) + (d/2.0)*(f(a)+f(b));      //Adds the final part of the trapezium rule to the number                                                                           returned in the for loop above to complete the area
	return area;							//End of Function 2
	}

int main()																		//Beginning of the Main Function
	{
	double a, b, TrapArea;
	int n;
	cout<<"This will evaluate the integral of the function f(x)=1/x" <<endl;	
	cout<<"Please enter a value for the lower bound of the integral"<<endl;		
	cin>>a;																		//Value inputted for a
	cout<<"Please enter a value for the upper bound"<<endl;						 
	cin>>b;																		//Value inputted for b
	cout<<"Please enter an integer value for the number of strips"<<endl;		
	cin>>n;																		//Value inputted for n
	TrapArea=trap(n,a,b);
	cout<<"The area calculated using the trapezium rule is apporixmately"<<TrapArea<<endl;
	}
return 0;

Been trying to create a program to evaluate an integral through the trapezium rule. And I've got these errors! Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Errors:

error C2143: syntax error : missing ',' before '<='
error C2086: 'int i' : redefinition
see declaration of 'i'
error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
error C2065: 'y' : undeclared identifier
error C2065: 'y' : undeclared identifier
error C2059: syntax error : 'return'

Contributors
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by VernonDozier
double trap (int n, double a, double b) //Function 2 Calculation of the areas of the strips, called trap
	{
	double d, h=0, area;
	d=(b-a)/n;		//d=Strip Width, "a" and "b" are the upper and lower bounds of the integral
	for (int i=1; i<=(n-1); i++)   // changed commas to semicolons
	{
	y+=(f((a+(i*d))));						//This sums the y values from 1 to (n-1)
	}
	area=(d*y) + (d/2.0)*(f(a)+f(b));      //Adds the final part of the trapezium rule to the number                                                                           returned in the for loop above to complete the area
	return area;							//End of Function 2
	}

You defined y in function f, but not function trap, nor did you define y globally. So function trap doesn't know what y is when you use it inside that function (line 7 above). In your for loop, you need to change the commas to semicolons (changed in line 5 above, see comment). Also, your "return 0" command is after the brackets that end your main function. It needs to be inside main.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.