This code(Files) does return the whole directorypath like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\Text.txt

What should be changed if you only want to return the fileName wich is: "Text"

Code:
System::string ^ Files10 = "c:\\";

array<System::string ^> ^ Files = System::IO:: Directory::GetFiles(Files10,"*.txt");

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Jennifer84

You need to start reading the descriptions for the System::String methods in msdn so that you can learn how to look up the method(s) you need to solve your problems. What you need is a method that will locate (or find) the last '\\' in the string then another method that will take the substring of all the rest of the characters.

after getting all the filename along with path u need to use String object's (search pattern to get) subString method to get file name.

Thank you for this tips. I really want and am trying to read and understand msdn examples as it is very good.
I have used Substring() wich is okay for me here. I have managed to take all directory away to I only have Text.txt left in:

"c:\\abc\\def\\Text.txt

What I am trying is to take .txt away and from what I understand from msdn I will "Split" this like I have tried in the code. The code compiles but the program wont start.

My thinkingsteps from this code is that first files4 is splitted so .txt dissapear, then converted to a String() and then Substring it with the remaining.
Where am I thinking wrong here. ?

array<Char>^ chars = {'.'};
comboBox1->Items->Add(files4[count]->Split(chars)->ToString()->Substring(14));
System::String ^ Files10 = "c:\\abc\\def\\"; 

array<System::String ^> ^ files4 = System::IO::Directory::GetFiles(Files10,"*.txt");

for( int count = 0; count < files4->Length; count++)

{

comboBox1->Items->Add(files4[count]->Split(chars)->ToString()->Substring(14));

}

after getting all the filename along with path u need to use String object's (search pattern to get) subString method to get file name.

I did solve this with a for loop and this works great. So the solution is seen in the code below:

array<System::String ^> ^ splits;

for (int count1 = 0; count1 < files4->Length; count1++)
{
splits = files4[count1]->Split(chars);	

IEnumerator^ myEnum = splits->GetEnumerator();

comboBox1->Items->Add(splits[0]->ToString()->Substring(29));
}
This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.