Hi folks,

Fresh newbie here. I'm taking a c++ class and I'm just a beginner. We have started to learn pointers and I discovered some puzzling behavior while messing around with the address operator & . Here is my code snippet:

char letter = 'a';
     int integer = 1;
     char letterarray[11] = "Char array";
     cout << letter << "\t\t" << &letter << endl;     
     cout << integer << "\t\t" << &integer << endl;
     cout << letterarray << "\t" << &letterarray << endl;

The addresses of the integer and character array output as clean hex numbers, but the char output looks strange:

a               af
1               0x22ff68
Char array      0x22ff50

In fact the garbled output of the single character address changes depending on other code around it!

If it helps I'm using Dev-C++ on a Windows XP machine, but I also get similar weird output on the Unix system at school.

I tried searching for any explanations on Google and these forums but didn't come up with anything. If there was an obvious search I could have made to find the answer, please let me know that too for future reference.

Thank you!

10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by trillionaire

It is because of default type promotion.

&integer is an (int *), which has no << overload, so it gets converted to an integer type and displayed.

Likewise, &letterarray is an (char[11] *), so it gets converted to an integer type and displayed.

However, &letter is a (char *), which does have a << overload (to print strings), so << tries to print a string. You are lucky it doesn't crash your program. You can get the correct default promotion by first casting to some pointer type that doesn't have a << overload (or at least properly prints the pointer type): cout << letter << "\t\t" << [B]static_cast<void *>([/B]&letter[B])[/B] << endl; Hope this helps.

Duoas, thank you. Yes that works. I don't know enough to understand the explanation 100%, but I'll do more research. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Yes, you made me look it up myself. See here.

So, apparently the << operator knows how to print a (void *), which is the default promotion for most pointer types... (I think)

Hi there, I was looking for the answer to that same question! Thanks very much that was an excellent explanation!

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.