Hey everyone,

This is my first time here just to let ya know. Hopefully you can help me. :D
The language is C++. I am currently working on a file that consists of functions to manipulate doubly linked lists from the main program. After writing several function everything was fine. Then I wrote one function that called a function farther done in the file. This shouldn't give any problems but it did this time. So I cut and pastes the first function so it was after the function it called. This fixed one problem but started a new one. The error was:

80:2 warning: no newline at end of file

The 80 is the always the last line of the file. So if I write more the number changes to 98, 104, 130........ I can't get rid of this error. Even if I delete the functions that "caused" this error. Any idea what I need to do to fix this.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Go to the last line of the file, to the last character in the line, and hit return/enter.

yea, also you can press Ctrl-End (which take you to the end of the page) and press enter (to make a blank line )

Simple

Hello,

I have many files that give me that message at compilation.
It would take me too much time to make the suggested modification
in each file.
Is there a compilation option that could remove only this warning message ?

Michel

for i in *.c; do echo >> $i; done How is that going to take you any time at all to do?

Here I'm assuming that since you're using gcc, that you also have a decent shell to play with as well.

Of course, you could refine it to say
- grep all the lines with that error message
- awk those lines to extract the filenames
- apply the first line to the list of filenames

It works pretty well.
Thanks a lot.

Unfortunately I don't no that much about shell programming.
Is there a way to check first if the modification is needed and
do it only in that case?

Like I said, use 'grep' to find all those error message lines which mention the "no newline" part, then isolate the corresponding filename.

Even passable familiarity with grep / sed / awk / perl and the shell will significantly improve your experience. I suggest you post some example lines, and your attempts at using these tools in the shell scripting forum if you want to continue this further.

You are right, I should start studying these subjects!
Thanks a lot

only after the last command you skip a line to enter,

}
# Endif / enter
//leaving a low-lina

commented: Don't bump old threads -1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.