Hey everyone,

This is my first time here just to let ya know. Hopefully you can help me. :D
The language is C++. I am currently working on a file that consists of functions to manipulate doubly linked lists from the main program. After writing several function everything was fine. Then I wrote one function that called a function farther done in the file. This shouldn't give any problems but it did this time. So I cut and pastes the first function so it was after the function it called. This fixed one problem but started a new one. The error was:

80:2 warning: no newline at end of file

The 80 is the always the last line of the file. So if I write more the number changes to 98, 104, 130........ I can't get rid of this error. Even if I delete the functions that "caused" this error. Any idea what I need to do to fix this.

yea, also you can press Ctrl-End (which take you to the end of the page) and press enter (to make a blank line )

Simple

Hello,

I have many files that give me that message at compilation.
It would take me too much time to make the suggested modification
in each file.
Is there a compilation option that could remove only this warning message ?

Michel

for i in *.c; do echo >> $i; done How is that going to take you any time at all to do?

Here I'm assuming that since you're using gcc, that you also have a decent shell to play with as well.

Of course, you could refine it to say
- grep all the lines with that error message
- awk those lines to extract the filenames
- apply the first line to the list of filenames

It works pretty well.
Thanks a lot.

Unfortunately I don't no that much about shell programming.
Is there a way to check first if the modification is needed and
do it only in that case?

Like I said, use 'grep' to find all those error message lines which mention the "no newline" part, then isolate the corresponding filename.

Even passable familiarity with grep / sed / awk / perl and the shell will significantly improve your experience. I suggest you post some example lines, and your attempts at using these tools in the shell scripting forum if you want to continue this further.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.