Ok, basically where i'm hitting a stumbling block here is that i need to be able to create an array of this sort:

SAMPLE INPUT FILE (Use EOF to terminate)
1121 15.12 40
9876 9.50 47
3333 22.00 35
2121 5.45 43
9999 10.00 25

those three columns are employee number, payrate, and hours worked, respectively.

I have to set up the program so that it asks for input for each of those categories (in order for each employee, ie. emp#, rate, hours, emp#, etc) until all info has been inputted, then i need to end that function and move on to one that reads that array and calculates the taxes and everything, then spits that info back out at you. I've been working on this for two hours and cannot seem to get anywhere. any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

You'll get more help if you post your code, even if it isn't working yet.

I don't even have any suggestions because the first part of your post makes it appear that you will be reading from a file, while the second part of your post makes it appear that you will be reading input from a user.

Do the program in steps:
1. get the data and write it back out to the screen
2. get the data and store the values in variables and write the variables out to the screen
3. get the data and store the values in variables and then do some math and write the results to the screen
etc

When you have something that isn't working right that you can't figure out, post the code here and ask for help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.