Hi,
Can anyone explain to me be basic functionality of a filter in MS Visual C++ ? I need to use one to check the database for a file name; if the file name exists in the database, alert the program user that the file has already been uploaded to the database, if not, add the file name to the database along with an autonumber ID. The boss was suggesting that I use a filter, so i just wanted to get a basic undown on the things from the best ppl i know. Thx in advance.

As far as I understand it (having rarely ever used VC++), a filter is MS's way of providing hooks into the application's main Window Procedure (which contains the top-level event loop) in order to process specific messages. Here's a useful page I googled.

You will need to use RegisterWindowMessage to define your special message, and then use the filter to catch it.

Hope this was what you were looking for.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.