hi,

i want to develop a console interface for a program that i made{a university project}......

so i was wondering if anyone {with expertise in this matter} can supply me with links or examples.....

For example , i am searching for ascii art...and also for ways to create menus with back and forth options, clear screen, use colors.....etc made it look more professional than a simple menu....

sorry i am not more specific,

Nicolas

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

console applications by definition have none of that, as they're line in/out only.

You seem to be thinking of a full-screen textmode application.
Those are highly dependent on your environment.
Each operating system and compiler will have its own libraries to create them.

hi,

Hi.

i want to develop a console interface for a program that i made{a university project}......

so i was wondering if anyone {with expertise in this matter} can supply me with links or examples.....

For example , i am searching for ascii art...and also for ways to create menus with back and forth options, clear screen, use colors.....etc made it look more professional than a simple menu....

There are some old compilers that can do some of this, but the techniques won't work with new compilers. What are your options for compilers?

sorry i am not more specific,

Don't be sorry. Be more specific ;)

Sorry, for not answering earlier...i didn't have access to an internet conncetion....

I didn't know that what i wanted was called "full-screen textmode application"...

For all it matters i have access to GCC and Visual Studio 2005....

I don't want something extremely advanced....Some basic menu functionality {with options, back and forth for navigation, and exit option...}

console applications by definition have none of that, as they're line in/out only.

You seem to be thinking of a full-screen textmode application.
Those are highly dependent on your environment.
Each operating system and compiler will have its own libraries to create them.

The standard library doesn't provide anything, concerning the console?

For all it matters i have access to GCC and Visual Studio 2005....

I don't want something extremely advanced....Some basic menu functionality {with options, back and forth for navigation, and exit option...}

The standard library doesn't provide anything, concerning the console?

Not in the compilers you mentioned, just basic input and output. You'll have to get into the Windows API's (http://MSDN.com) or a text graphics package of some sort.

Ok since were are talking about API's I have a question.

Eventually, I mean when I can code. I want to write tools for a 3d program called Maya. I dont know if your familiar with it or heard of it. I was wondering if Dev is going to cut it cause I also need to built interactive windows for it not just code. And also want to know if Dev would be compatible with it, or it does not matter what compiler I use?

>Ok since were are talking about API's I have a question.
Just because the topics are similar doesn't mean you can just hijack someone else's thread. If you have a specific question that's different from the original question made by the original poster, create a new thread. Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.