vector<int> Index;
V.push_back(9);
V.push_back(10);
V.push_back(8);
Index.push_back(0);
Index.push_back(1);
Index.push_back(2);
sort(V.begin(), V.end());

If I want to sort Index according to how V was sorted, there is an optional third parameter to sort() that will do this. I don't understand how to specify this third parameter. I saw an example that defined an iterator, but that was for sorting a fancier class than just doubles.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

David

you will have to sort them both at the same time. You might have to write your own sort algorithm because I don't think std::sort will support that.

Or change the algorithm and create a structure with an int and a double member, then have a vector of these structures and sort by the double member.

struct num
{
   inb index;
   double v;
};
vector<num> array;

This is how it solved my problem for parallel sorting two vectors. I am bit of a noob and more comfortable in Fortran hence that's why I made a function rather than a struct or class. :D I have read that C++ programmers prefer not to pass vectors but rather pass the iterator, but this seems to work for me fine, albeit I only need to sort small vectors of 2 to 3 elements.

void ParallelSort( std::vector<double> &vec1, std::vector<double> &vec2, int nlength)
{
  // create a vector of pairs
  std::vector< std::pair<double,double> > combovec;
  // fill the vector of pairs with the elements of vec 1 and vec2
  for ( int it=0; it<vec1.size(); ++it ) combovec.push_back( std::make_pair( vec1.at(it),vec2.at(it) ));
  // sort the vector this will be done on the first element of a pair
  std::sort( combovec.begin(),combovec.end() );
  // overwrite the vec1 and vec2 with the sorted elements of the paris
  for ( int it=0; it<vec1.size(); ++it )
	{
		vec1.at(it) = combovec.at(it).first;
		vec2.at(it) = combovec.at(it).second;
	}
}
This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.