I just finished an exam that I bombed pretty hard. I just dont know where to begin on this stuff and would love some guidance. Below is the details of the exam.

- Write a program that asks a user to enter their full name. Their name including spaces must be stored in a single string. Declare the string with a maximum of 40 characters.
- Calculate the # of Characters (C) in the string holding the full name and generate a random number (bullseye) between 1 and C (seed random number generator with current CPU time).
- Send these numbers (C and bullseye) as input parameters to a function called Guess.
- Inside the Guess function ask the user to guess the bullseye number. If the user enters a number out of the range (smaller than 1 or larger than C), notify so and ask for the number again.
- Once the user enters a valid number (within the range), compare it to the bullseye number and return a value of 0 to the main function if the user guessed incorrectly or return a value of 1 to the main function if the user guessed correctly.
- Back in the main function, use the returned value from the Guess function to notify the user whether the guess was correct or not.
- Give the user 3 chances to guess the bullseye number.

The window should read like this...

Enter your full name:

Enter a guess between 1 and 15:

Your guess was incorrect

Another Chance...

Your guess was incorrect

Another Chance...

Your guess was incorrect

Press any key to continue...

Any help and advice is very appreciated.

Recommended Answers

Were is the program you wrote? Or did you answer the questions at all ? If you couldn't answer the test then you need to restudy your text book from page 1 and do all the extercies at tne end of each chapter. If you don't do this then you …

Jump to Post

You need to use cin.getline in order to include the spaces. Here's a tutorial on it.

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/iostream/istream/getline.html

strlen is also a Cstring function, so instead of string, you would need to include string.h. Then after setting L = strlen(Fname), …

Jump to Post

All 7 Replies

Were is the program you wrote? Or did you answer the questions at all ? If you couldn't answer the test then you need to restudy your text book from page 1 and do all the extercies at tne end of each chapter. If you don't do this then you might as well drop the course and take up basket weaving.

I got hung up at the first statement where it says that the full name, including spaces, must be stored in a string. I got it to work up to the space, but after that it would not.

Here is the only code I got which doesnt even do anything. I broke the functionality it did have trying to figure out why the space in the full name wasnt working.

#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <ctime>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
	char Fname[40];
	int L;
	cout << "Enter your full name: ";
	cin >> Fname;
	L = strlen(Fname);
	cout >> L.length();

system("PAUSE");
return 0;
}

int guess()
{
cout << "Enter a guess between 1 and 15:";

cout << "Your guess was incorrect\n\nAnother Chance...";
return 0;
}

You need to use cin.getline in order to include the spaces. Here's a tutorial on it.

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/iostream/istream/getline.html

strlen is also a Cstring function, so instead of string, you would need to include string.h. Then after setting L = strlen(Fname), in your cout statement, you can just cout L, rather than L.length();.

Is this a C or a C++ program? The subject of your thread says C++ but the description of the problem says C everywhere. The answers to those questions will depend on which language is being used. For example: in C you would use fgets() to get an entire line including spaces, but in C++ you would use getline().

It is a C++ class. I just used (C) in the posting instead of the original letter that was in the assignment.

Try storing the name like this:

#include <string>

string str, name;

// Get string from user.
cout << "Enter your full name and press ENTER: ";
getline(cin, name);

//Build the output string, and print it.
str = "\nMy name is " + name + ".\n;

cout << str;
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.