I'm having a tough time conceptualizing this problem. I have a recursive function computing the number of possible combinations of two numbers. I have it working fine, just need one thing sorted out. My output needs a counter to increment each recursive step. Like this:

Level 1:
Level 2
Level 3

The combinations are printing out correctly but I can't figure out how to increment the level correctly each time. Any help would be appreciated. Here's the code:

#include<iostream>

using namespace std;

long Combinations(int y,int x,int level) 

{
	if(x==1)
	{
		return y;
	}
	else if(x==y)
	{
		return 1;
	}
	else 
	{
		cout << "Recursive Level " << level << endl;
		cout << "y = " << y << "  x = " << x << endl;
		return Combinations(y-1,x-1,level+1) + Combinations(y-1,x,level); 

}
}

int main()
{

long result;   
    result = Combinations(8,4,1); 
	cout << result << endl;

return 0;
}

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I'm not clear on what the problem is. Your code is reporting the depth of recursion on the variable x. Do you really want a count of how many recursive calls are made?

If so, create the counter variable in the function as static, increment at the entrance to the function, like:

int foo ( int x )
{
     static int num_calls = 1;
     cout << "call number: " << num_calls++ << endl;

//function continues

Okay I got it. Just needed to move the cout statements to the front of the function and use a static int. Which I had never used before (thanks vmanes). Tried something similar before but just kept getting 1's. And to clarify I did need to count every recursive call being made. Thanks again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.