Reposting from another forum as i didnt get many suggestions there

Hi Guys,

In my project the user will enter the name of the organization and it's floor map has to be displayed. the maps have to be made by us and need not be complicated at all. what i want to know is that what technologies can i use to do this? the backend has to be in either c++ or java with an oracle DB. should i use CAD? as i've never worked on CAD before i have no clue how it'll get integrated with C++ and if it can be useful for me or not or can i use C++ to make the maps? they need not be 3d maps, it can b 2d but need to be very presentable/colorful/easy to read etc

any directions will be very helpful.

thanks
chandra

One suggestion i got was to use VB.Net. Is it that difficult to do it using c++? i'll have to learn VB.Net from scratch.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Not really... actually i was thinking of making a UI may b using java swing... need to make it in a kiosk form where i can even put a touch screen on top of it ... i get a feeling that using c++ might not be easy here... i'm also looking at other options for displaying graphics... do you have any suggestions?

sorry for the abstract sort of info.. the idea is still in a very nascent stage...

I remember once trying to call Java Swing functions from C++ code so that all the calculations could be done in C++ and the graphical stuff in Java Swing, and we never really got it to work. The two pieces worked fine separately, but C++ and Java couldn't communicate.

This isn't to say it can't be done. It can be done, but everyone working on this project was brand new to it and none of us could figure it out. It's been on my to-do list of things to learn ever since, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. However googling "calling Java from C++" yields some promising hits.

On the other hand, it looks like a lot of the stuff in Java Swing can also be done in Visual C++ so you might want to just go Visual C++ all the way. It can certainly draw a floor plan.

Yes in some version of VB.NET CAD is already integrated.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.