HEY, I am new at this but I am in a middle of an excercise for an online class I am taking and I am doing a exercise and I am stuck. the instruction are as follow

: write a shell script that will take information from 2 fles and comine into another file
use looping structure

the files are
1) names with dates
2)same names with numebrs

and the out put should be
in order by date "ex monday, tuesday..

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I have the files inputed but I just dont know what loop statement to use and to get it to print it in a file in order by date

what have you learnt in that online class so far? do you have lecture notes and books for shell scripting?

yes I do , I ahve read the looping chapter but dont really understand which loops to use cause the examples are different

try this document instead. almost all you need to know about shell

Hey There,

Do you have a skeleton of a script. Just whatever you tried that isn't working? If you post that here, more folks are likely to respond and get you to the answer you need quickly.

Best wishes,

Mike

yes how do I copy and paste it in word

SEE THE THING IS, i HAVE 2 FILES ONE WITH NAMES WITH DAYS AND THE OTHER WITH NAMES AND NUMBERS. SOMEHOW I NEED TO TAKE INFORMATION FROM BOTH FILES AND PUT IT IN ONE FILE USING LOOP STATEMENT. I HAVE NO CLUE WEHRE TO START I MADE THE FILES BUT NOW IM STUCK ON THE PATH TO TAKE

Please help!!!!
ok
the first file is this

dave 734
bob 313
carol 248
mary313
ted248

the second file is
bob tuesday
carol monday
ted sunday
alice wed
dave thurs

the output has to be

name on call phone
carol mon 248
bob tues 313
alice wed 616

etc...

i need to put this in one file using looop structure
i have no clue how to do this
i made the 2 files and now im just confused and really depressed. i cant seem to fig out wat to do next

have you read the line i gave about while loops? pseudocode.

while read -r name number
do
     while read -r NAME NUM
     do
         if NAME is equal name
         then
              echo name NUM number         
     done < "file2"
done < "file1"

can u explain this code please.

while read -r name number
do
     while read -r NAME NUM
     do
         if NAME is equal name
         then
              echo name NUM number         
     done < "file2"
done < "file1"

Basically, this pseudo code is reading the first file and grabbing the two variables, and for each line read from the first file, it's checking every line in the second file and, if the name matches, it's print the output in the format you specified to stdout.

If you need Monday to equal Mon, etc, you can do that pretty easily with sed or even cut, if you know you only need a certain number of characters in your abbreviation (like if your standard is always 3 - Monday = Mon, Tuesday = Tue, etc)

Hope that helps. Give it a shot and see what you can do with it. Remember, the code posted is pseudo-code which means it's not entirely "correct" (won't just work if you cut-and-paste it) and is meant to demonstrate a principal and provide a means to reaching the answer rather than being the answer itself.

Best wishes,

, Mike

BTW,

Just a friendly tip. You might want to kill the other 3 or 4 identical posts you have in this forum or an admin might delete them all.

Just trying to help out so you don't get bumped off. Hope you get your problem solved soon :)

, Mike

I wished I had seen this post earlier. Cause I had the same home work in my unix class.

It took me a good while, but I got it working with the for loop.

Anywho, happy scripting!...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.