As a long time Windows C++ developer I now find myself with the will/opportunitty to develop
on the Linux platform. I'm intrested in multi-thread development, Socket, ODBC development.

Thanks for any help

James

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

>Thanks for any help
With what? You didn't ask a question. What do you want me to do, write you a book on all of the topics you mentioned? Or look into my crystal ball and give you information on the subjects that you need yet didn't deign to specify?

If you're a Windows developer then you know how complex threading, sockets and database programming are, so start using your brain and ask for something specific or you'll get nothing but blank stares and flames.

>Thanks for any help
With what? You didn't ask a question. What do you want me to do, write you a book on all of the topics you mentioned? Or look into my crystal ball and give you information on the subjects that you need yet didn't deign to specify?

If you're a Windows developer then you know how complex threading, sockets and database programming are, so start using your brain and ask for something specific or you'll get nothing but blank stares and flames.

Now now... be nice.

But, yeah... what are you wanting to know?

Since my request was simple I would think the reply would be simple. I would have thought a reply t my request present a simple here's were you find the api's to create a new thread or create a database connection.

I would appear you have never heard the "Keep It Simple Stupid" rule.

Try not to flame too often. You could hurt something.

>Since my request was simple
"Tell me everything I need to know about this broad subject" is not simple.

>I would think the reply would be simple.
The reply was simple. :)

>a simple here's were you find the api's to create a new thread or create a database connection.
Let's see:

$ man -k thread

then

$ man -k socket

followed closely by a google search for "unix odbc".

Too simple? I thought so, that's why I ran you down about it. The first thing that a new Linux user learns is how to ask the man, and if you're web-savvy enough to find Daniweb then you're web-savvy enough to search google for your answers first.

>I would appear you have never heard the "Keep It Simple Stupid" rule.
I would say the same about you, since you wasted our time by starting a thread requesting information that could easily have been searched with minimal effort on your part.

>Try not to flame too often.
I only flame people who deserve it.

I'm still getting my Linux legs so I'll have to annouy a few of you experienced users with a stupid question now and then.

I'm makng great progress in my search even though I'm standing at the bottom of
a large mountain.

I have a library of Window PC related books, it looks like I'll have to add a few Linux items.

Any suggestions?

>so I'll have to annouy a few of you experienced users with a stupid question now and then.
There are no stupid questions, only poorly thought out ones.

>Any suggestions?
It depends on your distribution. I have a Unix background and a lot of that slides into Linux nicely. So, Unix Power Tools and Unix Systems Programming (and of course anything coming from this general area :D) are a great help. For distribution specific features, you'll need to get a book for your flavor of Linux. You should be able to find some reviews at www.accu.org.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.