okay so I'm not sure how to do this, but suppose i have a struct that looks something like this:

struct soundNode{
string identifier;
sound new_sound;
soundNode* next;
soundNode* prev;
};

sound is an object that is defined by a .h file.
and in my main program, i have a pointer called node that points to a soundNode. If there's a function in new_sound that i want to access, how do i do it? In my example im creating a linked list of soundNodes and each node holds a .wav that it can play, pause, resume, stop, etc. so if i wanted to access play_wav() which is a member function of sound, how would i do it using the pointer node? I tried this
node->new_sound.play_wav(), and tried playing around with the brackets to change the order of evaluation but it didnt work, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

okay so I'm not sure how to do this, but suppose i have a struct that looks something like this:

struct soundNode{
string identifier;
sound new_sound;
soundNode* next;
soundNode* prev;
};

sound is an object that is defined by a .h file.
and in my main program, i have a pointer called node that points to a soundNode. If there's a function in new_sound that i want to access, how do i do it? In my example im creating a linked list of soundNodes and each node holds a .wav that it can play, pause, resume, stop, etc. so if i wanted to access play_wav() which is a member function of sound, how would i do it using the pointer node? I tried this
node->new_sound.play_wav(), and tried playing around with the brackets to change the order of evaluation but it didnt work, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Seems like this ought to work:

node->new_sound.play_wav();

I'm a little confused by your terminology, but I think I know what you mean. node is a pointer to an object of type soundNode. sound is a class. play_wav() is a function in the sound class. Seems to me that what you posted is a legitimate call to the play_wav () function, assuming everything else is set up properly. If that didn't work, post what you have along with any error messages.

yeah that is exactly what i meant, im using VS 2005, and the error I get everytime i do a call like that is:

error C2228: left of '.get_sound_name()' must have class/struct/union
error C2228: left of '.play_wav()' must have class/struct/union

as an example usage,

int play_sound_node(string file){
soundNode* node = head;
while(node != NULL){
//sound temp = node->new_sound;
if(file.compare(node->new_sound.get_sound_name()) == 0){
node->new_sound.play_WAV();
return 1;
}
node = node->next;
}
return 0;
}

yeah that is exactly what i meant, im using VS 2005, and the error I get everytime i do a call like that is:
error C2228: left of '.get_sound_name()' must have class/struct/union
error C2228: left of '.play_wav()' must have class/struct/union

as an example usage,
int play_sound_node(string file){
soundNode* node = head;
while(node != NULL){
//sound temp = node->new_sound;
if(file.compare(node->new_sound.get_sound_name()) == 0){
return 1;
}
node = node->next;
}
return 0;
}

I assume that the capitalization in this line is a typo in this post and is not the problem.

Is play_sound_node a member function of some class? If so, there is your problem. You currently dont't declare it as a member function:

int play_sound_node(string file)

If it is a member of class A, you would declare it like this:

int A::play_sound_node(string file)

Not sure what head represents. Is that a global variable? If it is a class data member, then you definitely need to specify a class in this function.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.