hi guys
well I go to my dos prompt and invoke the compiler with the javac command but I always get the following message:
javac is not recongised as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file

I would like to know why i am gettin this message and how can it be recified.As far i know i ahve installed the java sdk properly but still i cant figure out my error.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

hi guys
well I go to my dos prompt and invoke the compiler with the javac command but I always get the following message:
javac is not recongised as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file

I would like to know why i am gettin this message and how can it be recified.As far i know i ahve installed the java sdk properly but still i cant figure out my error.

You need to adjust your PATH variable. If you are using Windows XP, it's in the Control Panel:

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> System Variables

You'll need to add the directory where javac.exe is located to the PATH, which will vary according to where you installed JAVA. On my computer, it's:

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_02\bin

Add that directory to your PATH in the System Variables, then restart a new command window and try the javac command in the new command window.

Don't forget to separate it from the other ones with a semi-colon. So adding it to Vernon's

;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_02\bin

Also try this link.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.