I've downloaded and compiled wxWindows using VC++ 2008 Express. Also am able to compile/link the Calculator example program (haven't tried the others yet).

Now I want to begin writing my own program. So I searched google for tutorials to help get starte. None of them contain main(), and neither does the Calculator example program. I started a new console project and added the Hello World code from one of the tutorials. Since the tutorials don't have main() I deleted main() from my project. It compiles but link gets error

MSVCRTD.lib(crtexe.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _main referenced in function ___tmainCRTStartup
D:\dvlp\simple\Debug\simple.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

So, what am I missing ?

// main.h
class MyApp : public wxApp
{
  public:
    virtual bool OnInit();
};
// simple.h
class Simple : public wxFrame
{
public:
    Simple(const wxString& title);

};
// main.cpp
#include "main.h"
#include "simple.h"

IMPLEMENT_APP(MyApp)

bool MyApp::OnInit()
{
    Simple *simple = new Simple(wxT("Simple"));
    simple->Show(true);

return true;
}
// simple.cpp
#include "simple.h"

Simple::Simple(const wxString& title)
       : wxFrame(NULL, wxID_ANY, title, wxDefaultPosition, wxSize(250, 150))
{
  Centre();
}

The project contains these libraries, which I copied from another example project.

wxmsw28d_core.lib wxbase28d.lib wxtiffd.lib wxjpegd.lib wxpngd.lib wxzlibd.lib wxregexd.lib wxexpatd.lib winmm.lib comctl32.lib rpcrt4.lib wsock32.lib odbc32.lib

In the Project Properties, Configuration Properties, Linker, System, try setting SubSystem to Windows((/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS)

I've been trying to wrap my head around wxWidgets for a couple weeks now (and doing so on both VC++ and XCode on a Mac) and am getting nothing but migraines.

No one seems to put forth a simple, to the point, current tutorial. The only printed book has lots of text, but few, if any, complete samples. And the project startup instructions are not really complete or current.

Comments
That fixed the problem :)

That fixed it. Thanks for the help. So apparently I should have created a windows project, not a console project.

That fixed it. Thanks for the help. So apparently I should have created a windows project, not a console project.

Yup.
I've been playing with wxWidgets for a few weeks now, but I have the same experience as vmanes: headaches. :)
Perhaps in the future we can make a tutorial (for DW) on starting wxWidgets with Visual Studio.

I take it back.

I was focusing only on the gui part of wx, but apparently wxWidgets also has a lot of console functions.

#include <wx/string.h>

int main()
{
  wxString str1 = wxT("Testing");
  wxString str2 = wxT("console");
  wxString str3 = wxT("functions");

wxString str = str1 + wxT(" ") + str2 + wxT(" ") + str3;

wxPuts(str);
}

This should compile on a console-applicatio

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.