Is there a website that has some kind of GUI or application that allows users to enter statements like--

delete

delete []

for... n elements... delete arr[n]

--etc so that they can learn good memory management?

I sifted around some free ebook sites and found one but the link to it was broken (the file couldn't be located on the server it existed on, poor popularity I suppose).

If anyone has a good book suggestion, or site where I can get some practice/advice on memory management I would really be grateful. I'd hate to be one of those problem-programmers that cause the dreaded memory leaks in team-projects.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

If anyone has a good book suggestion, or site where I can get some practice/advice on memory management I would really be grateful. I'd hate to be one of those problem-programmers that cause the dreaded memory leaks in team-projects.

I literally googled "C++ memory management" and here is what I found:

one, two, three, and many more relavent links.

Google "C++ avoiding memory leaks":

As for books, go to a public library or a bookstore and search for C++ coding techniques, memory management, pointers, memory allocation, memory stack and heap, etc etc. There is also a sticky thread in this forumn about C++ books...lots of good references in there...just sift through them to see what you see...

Of course, best way to learn is to do... You can read all you want about memory management (or any programming technique in general), or find sites that tell you what to do and list rules to follow, but without practice, you won't understand how to apply your knowledge and problem solve.

Cheers!

I literally googled "C++ memory management" and here is what I found:

Google "C++ avoiding memory leaks":

As for books, go to a public library or a bookstore and search for C++ coding techniques, memory management, pointers, memory allocation, memory stack and heap, etc etc. There is also a sticky thread in this forumn about C++ books...lots of good references in there...just sift through them to see what you see...

Of course, best way to learn is to do... You can read all you want about memory management (or any programming technique in general), or find sites that tell you what to do and list rules to follow, but without practice, you won't understand how to apply your knowledge and problem solve.

Cheers!

The only problem with "practicing" is that I have no way to tell if there is a memory leak or not during run-time.

I have to know how to practice the correct way to prevent bad technique.

Thanks for the links though, I'll check them out.

-Alex

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.