Hi, I have bought Programming Windows Fifth Edition by Charles Petzold. I was wondering if there are any differences between the Win32 API talked about in this book and the one that applies to Vista or anything newer than Windows 2000. Also, my book didn't come with the CD (I got it used), so could someone post a link or attach the files from it?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Never mind about the CD files. I got them.

>I was wondering if there are any differences between the Win32 API talked about in
>this book and the one that applies to Vista or anything newer than Windows 2000.
I'd be surprised if there aren't. The API is constantly evolving, but the stuff covered in your book is still relevant.

Petzold's books are how I learned Windows Api coding, and the material is still timely and applicable, IMHO. I primarily use Win 2000 and XP and everything in Petzold works fine. Do you have the Windows 95 or 98 book? Actually, there have been some updates to the functions. For example, instead of WNDCLASS you should be using WNDCLASSEX, instead of CreateWindow(), use CreateWindowEx(), etc. That sort of thing. I don't have Vista but people who do told me there isn't much difference regarding the Win32 Api.

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't learning something that I couldn't use.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.