hello,

how do i make both threads have access to the same set of updated data, when they call different functions?

in addition, is the way i pass in the variable "myObjs" correct? can i pass in STL containers the same way?

example:

class aClass{
};

int main(){
    void *plus (void *);
    void *minus (void *);
    pthread_t thread1, thread2;
    aClass[100] myObjs; // may use STL Containers
    retVal1 = pthread_create(&thread1, NULL, plus, (void *) myObjs);
    retVal2 = pthread_create(&thread2, NULL, minus, (void *) myObjs);
}

in this code, thread1 will increase the value of member variables, while thread2 will decrease the value of the member variables... but i need them to be updated.

in addition, when im adding the values, how do i mutex lock the minus function, so it wont add and minus at the same time, and vice versa?

lastly, if i change the code to use STL container, i would edit the function "plus()" to add a new object, and the function "minus()" to erase an object.

>>how do i make both threads have access to the same set of updated data, when they call different functions?

Look up the term "thread synchronization". Use a semiphore to lock one thread out while another thread is using the object.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.