Hello folks :)

Allow me to introduce myself. I am Haktivex, a programmer for a tool known as TibiCAM, used to record movies for an online game known as Tibia.

Now heres the issue. For a long time we supported all operating systems, Windows 98, ME, etc. However recently these operating systems have stopped working. Some things to note:

1. We switched compilers (Microsoft Visual C++ Express) - Originally was compiled on Visual C++ 6.0

2. Compiling on Visual C++ 2003 did not help either.

3. None of the FindWindow code was changed.

4. Works fine on XP, etc.

When running on Windows 98/ME, instead of FindWindow finding the Tibia client, instead it finds DLL files, usually something like directx files, and some people have reported it finding Gadu-Gadu (IM program) files.

I have considered that the issue could be caused by ansi/unicode but I have no grounds to confirm this consideration. It could also be the compilers. Would anybody suggest that the Visual C++ 6.0 be used? Or is there something we can change with our current compilers/IDE's to get support back?

Here is the single line of code that is giving us so much trouble:

HWND hTemp = FindWindow("tibiaclient", NULL);

Thanks alot,
Haktivex.

I don't know why these errors occur, but you might want to try creating processsnapshots to find the handles.

This way is a bit harder, and it's much more code, but it might just work, right?

Greetz, Eddy

I don't know why these errors occur, but you might want to try creating processsnapshots to find the handles.

This way is a bit harder, and it's much more code, but it might just work, right?

Greetz, Eddy

Hello,

Process Snapshots require (as far as I am concerned) the process id of an application, which can be found using FindWindow - which is causing us these troubles.

Regards,
Haktivex.

// snapshot.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application.
//

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <windows.h>
#include <iostream>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <Tlhelp32.h>

using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
	DWORD tibiaID;
	HANDLE hProcessSnapshot = CreateToolhelp32Snapshot( TH32CS_SNAPPROCESS, 0);
	if(hProcessSnapshot == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)
	{
		cout << "invalid snapshot handle" << endl;
	}

PROCESSENTRY32 ProcessStruct;

ProcessStruct.dwSize = sizeof(PROCESSENTRY32);

Process32First(hProcessSnapshot, &ProcessStruct);

if(strcmp(ProcessStruct.szExeFile, "tibia.exe") == 0) 
	{ 
	   //you have the right process.
		tibiaID = ProcessStruct.th32ProcessID;
	} 
	else 
	{ 
	   // tibia.exe is not the first process
		//looping through the other records
		while(Process32Next(hProcessSnapshot, &ProcessStruct))
		{			
			if(strcmp(ProcessStruct.szExeFile, "tibia.exe") == 0) 
			{
				//the right record has been found
				tibiaID = ProcessStruct.th32ProcessID;
				break;
			}
		}

}
	cout << tibiaID;
	return 0;
}

retreives the processID of tibia.exe. You can also compare to the module name of tibia.exe.

Creating a handle from the ID is something you already know, so that won't be a problem.

Yours,
Eddy

Thanks for your reply Salem.

Unfortunately, I have just realized that I was looking after the wrong problem all along. FindWindow is doing it's job correctly, it is the next few lines causing the problem.

// Now get the ProcessID, so we can get a snapshot and open the process.
    GetWindowThreadProcessId(hTemp, &lTibiaProcessID);

hSnapshot = CreateToolhelp32Snapshot(TH32CS_SNAPMODULE, lTibiaProcessID);
    Module32First(hSnapshot, modA);
    strcpy(szTibiaPath, modA->szExePath);

Under Windows NT/XP/ etc this works just fine and dandy, and returns the path correctly. However, under Windows 98/ME etc, this returns some file not relevant to what we are searching for. The FindWindow procedure as originally thought to be the problem is not.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.