I am not an IT student however, a student of Healt and Human services and this IT class is an elective. I do not know any thing about programming but I am struggling to get through this class I read the text and disiffer some things. But as for the Top-Level objects of a microwave other than the door what else is Top-level?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

The microwave is nothing but an oversized paperweight unless you have a series of what to tell the microwave what you want it to do? I'd consider these things "Top-Level Objects" since nothing gets done without them, but then I'm not in your class so I don't know how your instructor is presenting things.

A good way to think about top level objects, is what ways you 'access' this object.

You interact with the top level objects, for the top level objects to interact with low-level objects.

An example is you can use the door on it, but regardless of the door, you have no clue how it works on the inside.

Once again depending on how the instructor is presenting things here are a few possibilities.

Keypad, Timer Display, Electrical cord

Thank you this make a little more sence now I know how to create the table that has four headings, Top-Level objects, Communicates With, Incoming Messages and Outgoing messages.

I think I figured it out this is what I have so far is there a pseudocode to go with this?
Top-Level Objects Communicates With Incoming Messages Outgoing Messages
Graphical Interface/Central Computer communicates with the door, microwave generator, spinner Incoming messages are from the user (power, timing, etc), also from the door, which tells the GUI if the wave generator is safe to go on outgoing messages tell the generator to begin making the waves, the spinner to spin, displays things on the screen
Door communicates with the GUI to be sure that you can only turn the device on if the door is closed no incoming messages (except from the user who can open and close the door) outgoing messages whenever the door is opened or closed, it must inform the interface so that the device turns off when the door is opened
Microwave generator Communicates with the GUI, which must display the amount of time remaining in a cook cycle incoming messages from the GUI to either start or stop generating waves, setting the power, etc outgoing messages to the GUI to inform it of its current status
Table spinner Communicates with the GUI to show the user whether the microwave is on or off
incoming messages from the GUI to tell it when to start/stop no outgoing messages

Describe some of the advantages of having a componentized system. For example, what happens if the microwave breaks?
The major advantage of a componentized system is that if one component breaks, you can just replace that one part, without having to replace the entire system. In a computer system, if one part of your code has a bug, you do not have to replace the entire code base; you can just concentrate on that specific part. If the entire microwave breaks, you do not need to replace the entire kitchen you just need to replace the microwave.

Very good.

That is the general concept of object oriented programming. Although, everything works together, they are still separate entities that are used to communicate with each other, and only do THEIR specific task.

I am not an IT student however, a student of Healt and Human services and this IT class is an elective. I do not know any thing about programming but I am struggling to get through this class I read the text and disiffer some things. But as for the Top-Level objects of a microwave other than the door what else is Top-level?

dear i also very less knowldge in this fields.. i trying to touch top level

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.