Is there a cleaner way to close out of a GUI window in Java then just clicing the X in the upper right hand corner? When I do this I get a NullPointerException error.

Is there a way to put an "Exit" button in a GUI window so that the window (program) closes much cleaner?

I'm aware of the system.exit command, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I think System.exit is the quickest way shutdown apps in java. I usually disble the X button of the GUI and provide an exit menu for exiting.

I think System.exit is the quickest way shutdown apps in java. I usually disble the X button of the GUI and provide an exit menu for exiting.

Yes, I know about the System.exit piece, but how do you disable the X button and provide an exit menu for exiting?

if you get an exception on application shutdown there's something wrong with your application and you shouldn't blame the shutdown hook for it.

As to providing a menu, check your Swing tutorials...

As to specifically see javax.swing.JMenu API to insert menus in your app ... and to disable the X button :

see javax.swing.JFrame --> setDefaultCloseOperation(int )

setDefaultCloseOperation
public void setDefaultCloseOperation(int operation)Sets the operation that will happen by default when the user initiates a "close" on this frame. You must specify one of the following choices:

DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE (defined in WindowConstants): Don't do anything; require the program to handle the operation in the windowClosing method of a registered WindowListener object.
HIDE_ON_CLOSE (defined in WindowConstants): Automatically hide the frame after invoking any registered WindowListener objects.
DISPOSE_ON_CLOSE (defined in WindowConstants): Automatically hide and dispose the frame after invoking any registered WindowListener objects.
EXIT_ON_CLOSE (defined in JFrame): Exit the application using the System exit method. Use this only in applications.
The value is set to HIDE_ON_CLOSE by default.

Well. Thats a fine way I didn't knew before.

Are there any possibilities to deactive or hide the "minimize" and the "downsize" Button?

Thanks in advance

Greetings from Germany

Ben

I'd guess that the JavaDoc for JFrame will tell you...

Hmmm. I think 99 percent of the questions in this forum will be solved by reading the docs.......

Why are you here then?

If I can teach one person to learn to find their own answers I'll have helped one person...
If I regurgitate code for everyone who wants some I've helped noone as they'll still not know how to find their own answers and will forever (or more likely until they end up in the unemployment line) come here for more and more.

I didnt find any method doing your job .... however you can set a listener for minimizing the window ... if the window is minimized, then you should restore it and bring it to front again.

I found this looking for something and... dispose(); works well if you want to close one window, not all.

I found this looking for something and... dispose(); works well if you want to close one window, not all.

The thread that you posted, is from 2004. Do you know that it is against the rules to revive dead threads?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.