Hello

This is the sister article to my question on C++.

I've been told by some other people that java is a better language to learn for the kind of implementation needed.

Please don't close the other topic, or stop replying to the other topic, as both of these will be needed by me (though immediately this one!)

What I need, is to learn Java, within a month.

Any suggestions/pointers?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Panarchy

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

lots and lots of coffee and good luck..
you can learn the basics of Java in a month, but to completely 'learn' Java on such short period would require a whizz-kid as a student

you might want to check out the sticky post on top of this forum, the one that tells you
"how to get started". There are a lot of usefull links and titles of Java books in there you can use

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/

Contains links to suns tutorials and the api docs, as well as jvm specs and the jls and a features guide. In short, Suns official Java documentation.

What specific implementations do you need?

Learning Java is quite the trial.

To get a decent dosage of Java, I strongly STRONGLY recommend "Java, How to Program 7e" by Deitel & Deitel.

But this isn't good enough. Simply learning the language and some implementations might not be enough. What if you need to implement MVC via JavaScript, DHTML or JSP front-end and Java Servlet Controller with potential Java back-end?

Is the whole application going to be done in Java? Why did you migrate from C++ to Java for your task? What is it that you're trying to accomplish that you feel the need to learn Java?

Please, justify your reasoning.

You know C++ right, you java should be not much difficult. Get the book Head First Java and read it. And one thing, there is no such thing as pointers in java only references, though it internally uses the concept of pointers, dont confuse between the two, there area lot of low level differences, ok.

Get Head First Java, avery good book, read it chapter by chapter, don't skip any, and try to do exercises, your concepts will be very clear and good. Its avery good and easy to understand book presented in a very good way with no loss in info. You should be able to complete in 15 days. i did it.

You know C++ right, you java should be not much difficult. Get the book Head First Java and read it. And one thing, there is no such thing as pointers in java only references, though it internally uses the concept of pointers, dont confuse between the two, there area lot of low level differences, ok.

Get Head First Java, avery good book, read it chapter by chapter, don't skip any, and try to do exercises, your concepts will be very clear and good. Its avery good and easy to understand book presented in a very good way with no loss in info. You should be able to complete in 15 days. i did it.

There are pointers in Java, you just can't dereference them to access the object at the address. You always have to use indirection to manipulate objects in Java, but instead of the indirection symbol you use the "." symbol.

Oh, I don't know C++ :(

What specific implementations do you need?

Learning Java is quite the trial.

To get a decent dosage of Java, I strongly STRONGLY recommend "Java, How to Program 7e" by Deitel & Deitel.

But this isn't good enough. Simply learning the language and some implementations might not be enough. What if you need to implement MVC via JavaScript, DHTML or JSP front-end and Java Servlet Controller with potential Java back-end?

Is the whole application going to be done in Java? Why did you migrate from C++ to Java for your task? What is it that you're trying to accomplish that you feel the need to learn Java?

Please, justify your reasoning.

What I wish to learn is how to write the frontend GUI to a new programming language written in ocaml (this new language is object orientated).

And it needs to be cross platform...

Panarchy

what is the scope of JAVA? Tell me if I make my career in JAVA. what points I should take to sucess in this career. I am a computer graduate.

what is the scope of JAVA? Tell me if I make my career in JAVA. what points I should take to sucess in this career. I am a computer graduate.

Hijacking someone else's thread to ask an unrelated question is considered rude. If you have a question to ask, start a new thread of your own.

Of course anyone thinking to "learn Java within a month" is rather insane...
A decade is more like it.

lots and lots of coffee and good luck..
you can learn the basics of Java in a month, but to completely 'learn' Java on such short period would require a whizz-kid as a student

you might want to check out the sticky post on top of this forum, the one that tells you
"how to get started". There are a lot of usefull links and titles of Java books in there you can use

Okay! (time to get used to that flavour!)

And, I have been called a whiz kid in the past...

I'm no genius, but I'm usually the one just below the level of genius.

:D

Well thanks for the links... I'll go through the java documentation and see what I can learn.

Panarchy

i know this is off topic but i needed a little help with my java progrma i posted a forum called help with BMI program, I just need a little help with were i went wrong and why its not working, so if any one can help please do so the help is much needed........

And, I have been called a whiz kid in the past...
I'm no genius, but I'm usually the one just below the level of genius.

And modest, too.

i know this is off topic but i needed a little help with my java progrma i posted a forum called help with BMI program, I just need a little help with were i went wrong and why its not working, so if any one can help please do so the help is much needed........

You've started your own thread, so keep your discussions there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.