hi im new to java and just need a little help in the right direction. I am trying to display an input of int on number at a time. So for example the user would enter 1998 and the output would be:
and we have to use the operators / and %. I know that % is to show the remainder but it just doesn't make sense to me how they could output that on each line. I have tried solving this using just / and - but it doesn't work. Also the input can only be a 4 digit Int

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

hi im new to java and just need a little help in the right direction. I am trying to display an input of int on number at a time. So for example the user would enter 1998 and the output would be:
and we have to use the operators / and %. I know that % is to show the remainder but it just doesn't make sense to me how they could output that on each line. I have tried solving this using just / and - but it doesn't work. Also the input can only be a 4 digit Int

Create five variables, all integers. Have a variable called year that stores 1998. Have four more variables: thousands , hundreds , tens , ones . If year = 1998, use the / and % operators to put the proper value into each variable so that thousands = 1, hundreds = 9, tens = 9, ones = 8, then display them with 4 separate println commands.

commented: Now I know how to help people who don't know where to start +3

thanks so much :D, I'm new to this. You solved one of my problems, so I'm gonna ask another one that you can maybe answer. I was wondering if there was a way to take the first word in a sentence and replace it with last one and vice versa. For example the sentence "My friend is out" would turn into "Out friend is My". I've tried looking for a solution through google and found the .replace() operator, but this requires you to know what you are going to be replacing the word with. What if i don't know what the user will type in and just want the last and first words switched. Also i wouldn't know the index of the last word

thanks so much :D, I'm new to this. You solved one of my problems, so I'm gonna ask another one that you can maybe answer. I was wondering if there was a way to take the first word in a sentence and replace it with last one and vice versa. For example the sentence "My friend is out" would turn into "Out friend is My". I've tried looking for a solution through google and found the .replace() operator, but this requires you to know what you are going to be replacing the word with. What if i don't know what the user will type in and just want the last and first words switched. Also i wouldn't know the index of the last word

Well if you start with a String that contains a sentence, you can break that String into words and have a Vector of type String called words , each element of words containing a single word. Once you have your words Vector, display the words in any order you wish. So your main task is to break the larger String containing the sentence into smaller Strings, each containing a word. There are several ways to do that. You need to know where a word begins and ends and what defines a word and what separates a word. The Character class can help you with that with functions like isLetter . The String class' substring function can come in handy once you know where a word starts and stops.

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/String.html
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/Character.html

yes! thanks so much.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.