Dumb question really but still wanted to know. In Microsoft Word, they give you some symbols like the arrows (← ↑ → ↓) and black space(█)which are not in ASCII.

Is it possible to some how tell the compiler to use these symbols even if they aren't in ASCII?

If not, that's fine, I can work around it, I just wanted to know if it was possible.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Those symbols are in different fonts, which require a GUI program such as M$ Word or your browser to display them. Can't use them in normal console programs.

>Is it possible to some how tell the compiler to use
>these symbols even if they aren't in ASCII?
You need to specify what you mean by "tell the compiler". Of course you can write code to make use of different character sets, but it's not as trivial as using the basic character set (which is itself a subset of ASCII in terms of the available character glyphs). There's a whole field of research and development covering that practice, called internationalization and localization. You can also write characters outside of the basic character set directly in your source code if the compiler and text editor support them. So the answer to your question is yes, as with pretty much any "is it possible?" question you can come up with.

commented: Whoo! I didn't know custom and foreign characters were a part of a field of study O_O - good info! =) +4

Alright. Thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.