Although it sounds pretty simple, i haven't found a proper answer for this issue.

I want to know how can i call a perl script and pass a variable to it.
For example, lets say "Parse.pl" is a parsing script of some sort and i want to call it from another perl script, or from a command line, with a variable: Parse($line);
Parse.pl will get the variable $line, perform parsing on it and return it to the main script (the return part is not really important);

Any idea how its done?

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by bryansmith123

Hi,
I would recommend you to define a method in Parse.pl and use it in your client script which requires parsing. For eg.

#caller.pl
require 'Parse.pl';
#...
# call method parse_me(for eg.) in Parse.pl
my $return_val = Parse::parse_me($line);
#...
#Parse.pl
sub parse_me{
my $line = @_;
#...
}
1;

Note: In Parse.pl define only methods, because when you require something, perl will try to execute that script first and then subsequent lines following require line.

hope this helps.

katharnakh.

Although it sounds pretty simple, i haven't found a proper answer for this issue.

I want to know how can i call a perl script and pass a variable to it.
For example, lets say "Parse.pl" is a parsing script of some sort and i want to call it from another perl script, or from a command line, with a variable: Parse($line);
Parse.pl will get the variable $line, perform parsing on it and return it to the main script (the return part is not really important);

Any idea how its done?

If you execute your script at ~>Parse.pl a b c
you get the command line values in the @ARGV array which you can run through in a loop.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.