After someone creates a DLL in C# using the Microsoft Visual development environment, how would another programmer take that code, make a new project that includes the DLL's source and make a GUI that uses the DLL'S API?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

you would just need to add it as a reference in the project

what specific piece are you having trouble with?

Another thing to do, after you've made a reference to the DLL or project, is to use the using statement to include the namespace included in that DLL file. It's not absolutely required, but it does simplify using methods and classes from the DLL, rather than having to type out the fully qualified name of the method/class.

As a handy tip, you can use object explorer to look through a DLL's functions to determine what you're wanting to use.

I have done a few things. I have created a console app to use as the front-end to the project. Then I have added the DLL as a reference like this:

1) In the Solution Explorer right-click "References" and select "Add Reference ...".

2) Select the "Browse" tab.

3) Navigate to the DLL and select it.

4) Add the appropriate using directive to the code file(s) where you want to use the DLL.

I have also found that I can add the Project that the DLL was made in into my new Solution file.

I have included the namespace of the DLL in the "using" section of my code.

And the intelligent type I am using recognizes this class when I declare it in my code.

But it does not seem to recognize all the methods (api's) of the class.

What am I doing wrong?

[img]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/Athono/first_problem.jpg[/img]

Strangely, "Equals", "GetHashCode", "GetType" and "ToString" are not seen in the DLL's source code for available methods for this class.

Also, I know that if you double click on the added reference, an Object Explorer should come up showing the available methods. This is not what happens:

[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/Athono/objects.jpg[/IMG]

So now to look closer at the DLL source code.Could there be a problem in the fact that the constructor ( private NookieBookieDoopieDoo() ) is
defined as a privvate? Could there be a problem that the methods are static?

It looks something like this:

namespace BladaFlabaDab
{

public class NookieBookieDoopieDoo
    {

private static readonly string SomethingYouDoNotNeedToKnow = @"SLAMADAMNADDORK";

private NookieBookieDoopieDoo()
        {
        }

public static void Send(string to, string subject, string body)
        {
        }

public static void Send(string to, string replyTo, string subject, string body)
        {
        }

private static void InitializeClient()
        {
        }
    }
}

Could there be a problem in the fact that the constructor ( private NookieBookieDoopieDoo() ) is
defined as a privvate? Could there be a problem that the methods are static?

you need to call it like this since it is static

ClassName.MethodName();

NookieBookieDoopieDoo.InitializeClient();
NookieBookieDoopieDoo.Send("to", "replyTo", "subject", "body");
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.