Hello sir,
I am using visual studio 2005.
I want to split the form into 2 parts.

On the left side i wil give the VB coding.

On the right side i want output for that coding.

Similar to this link
http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit....ml_paragraphs1
But the link is for HTML coding, But i want it for VB.
Thankyou sir.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Your link didn't work.

If you mean working with IDE, code displayed in one pane and running app in the second pane, the answer is no way.

Since VB code is compiled before execution, running the app would "lock" the exe file which prevents compiling the code. The best you get with VB is Edit & Continue feature i.e. you can stop debugger, edit source code and then continue debugging. And that's a really great feature!

AFAIK VB 2005 does not support dual monitor setups. Maybe VB 2008 does support dual monitor, but still edit & execute might not work in the way I think you mean.

Your link didn't work.

If you mean working with IDE, code displayed in one pane and running app in the second pane, the answer is no way.

Since VB code is compiled before execution, running the app would "lock" the exe file which prevents compiling the code. The best you get with VB is Edit & Continue feature i.e. you can stop debugger, edit source code and then continue debugging. And that's a really great feature!

AFAIK VB 2005 does not support dual monitor setups. Maybe VB 2008 does support dual monitor, but still edit & execute might not work in the way I think you mean.

Thankyou sir,
Is it possible to run VB6 projects in VS2005 with a button click.
(ie) In an IDE when i click some button i need VB6 projects to run in VS2005.

From VB IDE's menu "Tools\External Tools" you can add external apps to IDE, like VB6.EXE (VB6 IDE). And you get that to the "Toolbar Buttons" with Customize Toolbar.

I use VB2005 EE, in VS you might have more (=better) ways to do this.

From VB IDE's menu "Tools\External Tools" you can add external apps to IDE, like VB6.EXE (VB6 IDE). And you get that to the "Toolbar Buttons" with Customize Toolbar.

I use VB2005 EE, in VS you might have more (=better) ways to do this.

Hello Sir,
I added it to my project. But i dint find any way to run it with my button click on form, from VS2005

Sorry, it seems I understood your question totally wrong.

Here's how to launch VB6 from VB.NET

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
  '
  Dim MyProcess As New Process
  Dim RetVal As Boolean
  Dim FileName As String

' This my path to VB6, change it to match yours
  FileName = "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\VB6.exe"
  ' Set process properties
  MyProcess.StartInfo.UseShellExecute = True
  MyProcess.StartInfo.FileName = FileName
  MyProcess.StartInfo.WindowStyle = ProcessWindowStyle.Normal
  ' Start the application and check if it started
  RetVal = MyProcess.Start()
  If Not RetVal Then
    MessageBox.Show("Unable to start application", _
      "Error", _
      MessageBoxButtons.OK, _
      MessageBoxIcon.Information)
  End If

End Sub

Just change the file name to start any application. The application (VB6) starts as its own process i.e. after running the code above, you'll have VB.NET and VB6 as separate processes. If you try to run VB6 "inside" of the VB.NET, that's not possible.

Thankyou sir,
I am able to do that, But it is running separately
Is it possible to run that project in the new form of myproject, with form splitted into two,
Leftside - coding
Rightside - Output

No, it's not possible. I did explain that in my previous postings.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.