Hello everyone. I have been studying VB on my own in prep for my class next semester. I am trying to update a label on form1 from form2. Below is just a "test" example i created to figure out what im doing wrong. It is not the actual project i am working on.

this is the form1 code

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim frm2 As New Form2()

frm2.Show()

End Sub

this is the second form code. am i accessing this wrong or declaring something else incorrectly? If you need anymore info,let me know. All i have is one button on the first form opening the second form. This form has a button that when i click it, i want to update the label in form1. Thanks you in advance.

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim frm1 As New Form1()

frm1.lblTest.Text = "Hello"

End Sub

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Well, it depends. Are you destroying Form1 when you go to Form2? If you are then you are right. I feel though that you are not, so, what you have is Form1 and Form2 and then creating frm1.

Delete the line:
Dim frm1 As New Form1()
and change the next line to:
Form1.lblTest.Text = "Hello"

If you are using vb 2005 or vb 2008 then you don't need to create a new form. Just use:

Form2.Show()

Ohhhh... I see. So creating a new instance of the form in memory basically erases the original. Makes sense. Thank you!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.