Hi - I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask my question,
so let me know if it is not.

I'm trying to write a program than can take two audio files (e.g. WAV) as inputs, compare them, and spit out a number that tells you how similar the audio files are.

If someone has done something like this, know how to go about doing it, or just have some ideas, please let me know. Anything will be greatly appreciated.

Specific questions: What language is suitable? How hard is it to do (how many
hours, roughly)? Where can I find a good source of audio library/tools?

Thanks!

Sounds interesting. You might search Google for samples that parse the WAV format, because its not all wave form samples, there's other gunk in there too. And, will you match both channels, or insist on mono samples? And require they are in the same sample format (say, 8-bit 11khz must match the same sampling format in another file)?

This is the C/C++ forum and either of those would do fine.

I'm not an expert at this, but it occurs to me that some sort of 'sum of the squares of the differences' might tend to show HOW different they are. But, in terms of closeness to the ear, that won't get you very far. I mean, two songs that are identical but sung by different people would probably be as close as two totally different songs using some simplistic method like that. So if you want to be able to tell how they SOUND to a human, that could be pretty darn difficult.

Sounds interesting, though! Good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.