Hi. I want to implement a mouse using a webcam. I would be tracking a laser pointer dot using a webcam and converting that point to mouse coordinates. I want to develop a java application for it. I am a beginner in java so i would be very thankful if you please help me out with the following:

* How to launch a java application at startup in windows and linux?
* How to stream live video from a webcam in java?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

To launch a java application at startup in linux you can specify the command for starting the application in /etc/rc.local file. If you do not have the /etc or the rc.local file already you can create one before and then paste your command into it. An intro to what is rc.local and the detailed procedure is given here. This is the technique I use to start java applications on startup, although some people call it a hack, it's a good trick nevertheless !!!

Hey man,
your project sounds really interesting would you mind letting me see it when your done? Currently I am very interested in manipulating web cams and peripheral devices, though I have yet to actually do so!
Eventually I want to desk my own facial recognition system for my front door :P

* How to launch a java application at startup in windows and linux?

In windows place bat-file, jar-file or shortcut inside C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Menu Start\Programs\Autostart

In windows place bat-file, jar-file or shortcut inside C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Menu Start\Programs\Autostart

Actually I believe its: C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Menu Start\Programs\Startup

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.