Start New Discussion within our Software Development Community

Hi all

I've been messing about with this bit of code. Basically what it's
supposed to do is create these six buttons, which when clicked pass a parameter to a function and then call that function. The function basically removes one condition from a larger list depending on which button is clicked The problem is that the way I've written it, the functions runs automatically before the user actually clicks the button.

firstCond = ''
condNames = ['1', '2', '3', '4',  '5', '6']
for item in condNames:
    button = Button(frame, name = str(item), text = str(item), command = getCond(item)).pack()
def getCond(par):
    firstCond = par
    print firstCond
    print conditions

So I want the function to run when the button is clicked, not automatically on its own. Now I know that the reason it does this is because of the brackets following getCond(item). However, I cannot see any other way of passing the parameter to the function.

Obviously, I could make separate functions for each condition, but I'm just wondering if I could do it more elegantly in this way? It would be a pain if I had 100 conditions instead of 6...

Here is an example how to use lambda to pass arguments in Tkinter's button command:

import Tkinter as tk

def getCond(par):
    firstCond = par
    print firstCond
    #print conditions

root = tk.Tk()

firstCond = ''

condNames = ['1', '2', '3', '4',  '5', '6']
for item in condNames:
    # use lambda to pass arguments to command-function
    tk.Button(root, text=str(item), command=lambda i=item: getCond(i)).pack()

Also, create your function before you call it.

Perfect answer

Hi friends,
i am happy with above code. Can u please explain easily about lambda command plz..

An example might explain it better ...

# normal function declaration
def timestwo1(x):
  return x * 2

# using lambda (not anonymous)
timestwo2 = lambda x: x * 2

# test it ...
print(timestwo1(4))  # 8
print(timestwo2(4))  # 8

# or make it anonymous ('on the fly')
print((lambda x: x * 2)(4))  # 8
A great example. It's worth pointing out that the two functions timetwo1 and timetwo2 are identical. xxx = lambda ... is a perfectly valid way to create a function. Indeed in some languages it is the way it's done.
This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.