Hi All,
I have a set of elements to be added to an existing XML document. I would like to write a XSLT tranformation for this. My requirement is that I need to check whether the element is already there in the XML file. Only if its non existent, I need to add that element. I have to repeat this step for a set of elements. Also, my XML file is namespace based.

Please advise.

Regards
Ramesh

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Here is a simple example of adding an element. Suppose you have the folllowing XML document

<root>
   <list>
      <a>aaaa</a>
      <b>bbbb</b>
   </list>
</root>

and you want to add an extra element <c>. The following stylesheet is one way of adding this element.

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0" >
  <xsl:param name="ename">c</xsl:param>
  <xsl:param name="evalue">cccc</xsl:param>

<xsl:output method="xml" encoding="utf-8"/>

<xsl:template match="@*|node()">
     <xsl:copy>
       <xsl:apply-templates select="@*|node()" />
     </xsl:copy>
  </xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="list">
     <xsl:copy>
         <xsl:apply-templates/>
          <xsl:if test="not(c)">
             <xsl:element name="{$ename}"><xsl:value-of select="$evalue"/></xsl:element>
          </xsl:if>
     </xsl:copy>
  </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

The output is

<root>
      <list>
      <a>aaaa</a>
      <b>bbbb</b>
   <c>cccc</c></list>
</root>

Thanks for the help. I was trying the same thing with my examples. But it looks like only the identity transformation template is only invoked. The other template is not invoked. There is a namespace associated with the XML file. ( The schema that defines the XML has the targetnamespace). Is this why the other templates are not invoked? How to handle namespace based insertion.

Thanks

Yes, you have to specifically handle the extra namespace issues.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.