Whenever I step through my code, visual studio will step into things like string, and the new operator. When it does this it also leaves a tab for the file open at the top. Is there a way to configure it to only step into code that is loaded in my project explorer? I've searched but found nothing.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

You need to state your problem more clearly :) what do you mean by step into?

When I push the Step Into button. F11. I want it to only step into code that is in the solution explorer, and step over everything else.

what is stepping?

When you place breakpoints in your code so that you can step through line by line to debug problems.

oh right, i dont think so, does it close those windows when you stop debugging?

Nope it leaves them all open and then I have to close them manually. It's really annoying.

try going to Tools>>Options>>Debuging there might be something there.

When I push the Step Into button. F11. I want it to only step into code that is in the solution explorer, and step over everything else.

Then you should "step over" instead of "stepping in", so press f10.
Ór you could step out of the code with shift-f11:

Debugging
Debug.Autos 	CTRL + D, A
Debug.CallStack 	CTRL + D, C
Debug.Immediate 	CTRL + D, I
Debug.Locals 	CTRL + D, L
Debug.QuickWatch 	CTRL + D, Q
Debug.Start 	F5
Debug.StartWithoutDebugging 	CTRL + F5
Debug.StepInto 	F11
Debug.StepOut 	SHIFT + F11
Debug.StepOver 	F10
Debug.StopDebugging 	SHIFT + F5
Debug.ToggleBreakpoint 	F9
Debug.Watch 	CTRL + D, W
Debug.EnableBreakpoint 	CTRL + F9
Make Datatip Transparent 	[CTRL]

I know, I was just hoping there would be a one-button solution, because I DO want to step into all of my project's code so I hit f11, but sometimes it will step into code that I don't want it to.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.