I understand that visual studio has a nmake tool for building a project from a makefile.
What I want to do is to be able to build my project outside the Visual Studio IDE, from command line using nmake.
I found some tutorials about writing a windows makefile for nmake, but I think visual studio should be able to do this automaticlly.
So, my question is, how do I generate this makefile from visual studio 2005? Of course, if that is possible

thx in advance

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Microsoft discontinued that feature with 2005. It was replaced by VCBuild.exe, which uses the solution file.

Why is that I am not able to understand what you are talking? I was never thought about MAKEFILE :( What is a makefile?

Why is that I am not able to understand what you are talking? I was never thought about MAKEFILE :( What is a makefile?

A makefile is a text file that tells a compile how to compile and link a program. Tutorial here.

A makefile is a text file that tells a compile how to compile and link a program. Tutorial here.

Thank you:) I'll read it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.