im thinking about how i could manipulate gui windows, so that if I were to have, say two separate programs running in two separate windows and i were to drag one the other would follow.

does anyone know how i would begin to go about doing this? I'm actually using python and tkinter in linux but would like for it to work in windows too.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

In wxpython you can have two different classes of windows interacting with one another. I know less of threading may be it can solve your problem but not sure!

If you have two genuinely separate programs, then they will have to signal each other. This would likely be accomplished with a pipe, and you'll need some kind of signal handling.

How badly do you want to pursue this solution? What are you trying to accomplish?

Jeff

You could put the two windows in question onto a borderless (invisible) window.

thanks for the replies everyone, what I'm actually trying to do is write an instant messenger type program. It kind of works ok but not perfectly. The problem ive got is that the programs sticks while it waits for the incoming message so it can only be used in a 'your turn, my turn' situation. However, if, while the program is waiting for the incoming message, i try to write and send a message, nothing appears in the entry field, but it is there because as soon as the next message comes in the 'invisible' message is sent - the problem is obviously with the way ive set up the loop but I thought a solution would be to have the client and server running as separate programs and somehow get the entry field to 'stick' to the display screen, with a gap inbetween (I just thought this might look cool), but i guess really i should try and get it to work as one - anyone got any experience of this, Im hoping to release it to the community as soon as I feel its good enough - cheers.

haha I did it!!!!! threading was the answer i was looking for, I now have a working IM. I think i'm going to rewrite it using wxpython though, it looks a lot better. Thanks for putting me on the right track guys. I guess some of you guys can bang them out 10 to the dozen but Ive only been programming about 3-4 months so its a big achievement for me. cheers

Good Job!
Consider to close the thread :)
Happy Pying!!

haha I did it!!!!! threading was the answer i was looking for, I now have a working IM. I think i'm going to rewrite it using wxpython though, it looks a lot better. Thanks for putting me on the right track guys. I guess some of you guys can bang them out 10 to the dozen but Ive only been programming about 3-4 months so its a big achievement for me. cheers

Hello Juzzy, I'm thinking of integrating IM capabilities as part of hands-on-keyboard practice (which is good behaviour anyway), but can you give me hints of what I need to Accomplish basic IM (console based). I haven't done network things and I hope this will be good start to it!
Anybody also can add anything :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.