Hey y'all

I'm making the first steps into java from VB. I'm reading a book about how java works and I'm only a few chapters in.

Just so you know how 'fresh' I am, I managed to write 2 classes, one main and another one, I passed a int to the other class and it did a for looped for the amount of that int

I'm not looking at the Gui at present as I want to master the basics of being able to happly write java first.

My questions are:

* Can anyone think on any programs ideas that I can create to practise?

* Any good web sites that I can get the above on.

Any ideas are welcome. if it's too advanced for me, I'll save it for a later date when I will know more

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

if you are reading a book, doesn't it contain questions? I think a text book is probably the best place to get problems to practice on, as it will probably provide sample implementations and explain good/bad practices within the implementation.

Hmmm ........... if you might not have noticed, there is a sticky at the top of the thread list called "Starting "Java" [Java tutorials / resources / faq] ".
Your questions have already been answered there along with tons of other useful resources.

Can anyone think on any programs ideas that I can create to practise?

Hmm...Well yes, we can do that, but may I know one thing before that, why can't you do it on your own ?
Cook up some ideas just like that, they could be anything, and start working on it.

You may want to take a look at the book named Java I/O its available in amazon.com, FatBrain

You may want to take a look at the book named Java I/O its available in amazon.com, FatBrain

Why only I/O, if he is starting Java, he should learn the basics which could be found, written well, in any beginning Java book. Rather books such as the one you mention cover a specific area in detail, and they, obviously assume some working knowledge of the langauge. So instead the OP should go for these only after a good grasp of the basics.

Hmmm ........... if you might not have noticed, there is a sticky at the top of the thread list called "Starting "Java" [Java tutorials / resources / faq] ".
Your questions have already been answered there along with tons of other useful resources.

I'm not looking for instructions on how to learn the code, just 'mini' programs that I can program so that it helps me learn the language.

(I did look there first)

if you are reading a book, doesn't it contain questions?

The book doesn't have programs that I can make. it shows me the code then walks me thru it step by step.
I have copied some of the examples, but I learn better working it out myself.

I don't want to be spoon fed. just some ideas on something to make, like

Pass a varable to another class and look until that varable and display a message each time the loops runs

>I'm not looking for instructions on how to learn the code, just 'mini' programs that I can program so that it helps me learn the language.

Learning the code and learning the langauge... Hmm Will you be able to tell the difference to me ?

If you learn the langauge ground up, learning all the basics such as Classes, Abstract Classes, Interfaces, Threads, Exceptions, JDBC, Serialization, Garbage collection etc., you might be able to cook up enough ideas in your brain to try programs based on or related to these concepts.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.