Hi,

To speed up development of a certain procedure inside our company, I was wondering if it would be possible to 'undress' a templated word file (so we could use our stationery), mark it's dynamic regions, and fill these in using a C# program coupled to some sort of DB (using a GUI), and then export it to a 'finished' word file.

All in all, it didn't look like rocket science to me.

I know .docx is nothing more then a zip file containing some XML files.

The problem here is that I didn't find any useful methods to be able to get a specific node out of a Word file, and that there doesn't seem to be a general rule of thumb to predict exactly how Word will break up words and sentences.

'Hello World' might be saved as 'Hel' 'lo' 'Wo' 'rld', each in a different text node. How can one ever be able to insert/edit/delete other content (using a C# program for example)?

Also, is there a way at all to assign an ID to a node, so I could walk the Domain Object Model tree and just find the node I'm looking for, and then for example alter it's contents?

I was used to JavaScript and HTML, and was hoping to see some familiar faces, but I stumbled upon something completely different, or I'm missing out on something blatantly obvious.

I couldn't locate the edit button, so I'm replying to my own post.

I have found some video tutorials: here and also some software to visualize the 'Content Controls' and 'Custom XML' here, which seem to be the buzzwords when looking for this kind of content.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.