I have some more basic questions about using overloaded operators. This is just a hypothetical question.

Say I have 2 overloaded operators functions defined for a class. The overloaded operator= function and the overloaded+ function.

Now I want to create the overloaded operator+=. Can I define that function in terms of the other overloaded operator= function and overloaded operator+ function ? Meaning can I use them in the definition of the overloaded operator+=? Or do I have to write a whole new function essentially doing what both the overloaded operator+ and the overloaded operator= functions do but all in one function? I just want to do this the right way but really don't know the preferred way to do it.

I know I can write the code to make the overloaded operator+= to work without using the other overloaded functions but it seems overly complex and I have been reading a lot of so called good design practices lately and it clearly seems the general consensus is that complexity is a cost don't pay it 2x and KISS. So with that being said it seems that I should keep a single point of failure for the new function relying on the previously defined functions so to not have to re-write 3 functions in case I need them to do something else.
This is just a simple string class that has overloaded operators for concatenating strings and copying strings.

class CSimpleString
{

public:
	// Constructor definition.
	CSimpleString(const char* text = "Default Text")
	{
		pmessage = new char [strlen(text) + 1];
		strcpy_s(pmessage, strlen(text) + 1, text);
		m_Length = strlen(pmessage);

}
	// Overloaded assignment operator.
	CSimpleString& operator=(const CSimpleString& aSimpleString)
	{ /*Do some stuff*/}

// Overloaded addition operator.
	CSimpleString operator+(const CSimpleString& aSimpleString) const
	{/*Do some more stuff*/}

// Overloaded += operator.
        CSimpleString operator+=(const CSimpleString& aSimpleString)
        {/*What would be the syntax for using the overloaded operator+ and overloaded operator= in this funcntion? */}

private:
char* pmessage;
size_t m_Length;
};

What would be the syntax for using the overloaded operators inside another overloaded operator? Would I have to use them specifically as the function is defined? Like so...

// Overloaded += operator.
        CSimpleString operator+=(const CSimpleString& aSimpleString)
        {  string1 operator=(string1 operator+(string2)) }

Or is this completely stupid to do it this way? And I need a whole new function? I'm just trying to go about this correct and preferred way with most recycling of code.

Thank You for any help and wisdom on this matter.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Look, you are on the right path.
If you have already overloaded the operator= and operator+, you can use them in the definition of operator+= .
Say the parameter of the += operator is aSimpleString.Then, the definition of += operator may look like.

(*this)=(*this)+aSimpleString;
commented: He helped me solve my question quickly and with correct and kind suggestions. Awesome poster! +1

That's what I'm doing but I get a
error C2064: term does not evaluate to a function taking 1 arguments.

But now that I know I'm on the right path I know I'm going to figure it out.

Thx Siddhant3s, I love these forums. I get quick and correct answers to my questions.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.