Would it possible to have a form when you start a program that asks a username and password. Then the information sent to a server analised and compared to a database for approval to then show another form which then lets you use the program?
so basically you start xyz.exe
then your asked for : user / pass --> TCP/IP to private server --> interfaces with Mysql database --> finds the user / pass submitted --> then unlocks the program to let you use it.

I think the idea is feasble but would it possible to have this work with a MYSQL db? or maybe should it just wok with a text file.

What do you guys think?

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by crypter

I think the idea is feasble but would it possible to have this work with a MYSQL db? or maybe should it just wok with a text file.

It is possible to do what you are talking about but i am not sure though with a mysql database i would use SQL-Server if you can. I have heard of people using mysql but have also heard it is very difficult to get it to work right. Again these are things that i have heard not actually done. Hope that helps.

Also i wouldnt use a text document for security reasons. It is also considered bad practice to store information like that in a text document.

Sounds pretty logical! Well it is cuz i have web space and i have access to MYSQL and Postgre but i dont know much about postgre. Makes also sense to not store user/ pass in text doc. I was simply giving examplejust to make things clear.

But hey thanks for the reply! Hoopefully someone that has already done this can point me in the right direction also!

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.