i am working on image processing , which intially i used to do using MATLAB . but now i have been told to do using
using JAVA or C++ programming ,.

Since i know the fundamentals of C++ i guess i would be the right choice
But the problem is : i dont know how to "handle/process" image files using C++ .

i would be glad if you guys can mention which is a better programming language for this scenario .?

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

You handle them the way you would normally handle a file, you act upon the data depending on what the file format specifies.

Is this a BMP, JPEG, GIF, or?

i thought c++ handles only bmp and tiff (tagged image file format)..?

C++ doesn't have any "handling" or support for images, just generic files. You have to implement your own method of processing images or get an SDK to do it.

Well i am a complete neophyte in this part of c++ programming.
and by the way i would be glad if you could throw some insight on SDK ...?

There are free libraries for image file handling.
May be this library will helpful to you.
http://cimg.sourceforge.net/

Well i am a complete neophyte in this part of c++ programming.
and by the way i would be glad if you could throw some insight on SDK ...?

are you asking about how to use new libraries inside SDK ?
well just simple , just include the header files and then include the
library files as input arguments to the linker.

i thought c++ handles only bmp and tiff (tagged image file format)..?

Then how the windows operating system or linux operating system work
with other files :'( .

who told you this ?

Well i was reading the theoratical part of image processing and in that it specifically memtioned that the c compiler (i guess the turbo c) can handle only these two file formats , and not the one which is very ubiquitous (JPEG) .

Well ne ways wat windows / llinux OS gotto do with these .
they might have written their own CODEC for all you know.

Turbo-C is an ancient non-standard compiler, disregard any info you hear of it.

So which compiler is the best for image handling and to perform complex tasks .
thanks NicAx64 for the links you gave it help me a lot.

So which compiler is the best for image handling and to perform complex tasks .
thanks NicAx64 for the links you gave it help me a lot.

all the C and C++ and assembly compilers are best for the image processing. becos they generate the code in the native machine code. But when you selecting a library , you have to think whether that library is supporting to your plactform. some libraries are ( specially Foss ) are only supported in the linux world.

some of those libraries that I seen there is paintlib , PNGwriter , limagelib . so if you're starting the project as a new , then download
linux and install gcc compiler and a good text editor(emacs) or a IDE. ( there is no difference between Emacs and a IDE , emacs is rich as an IDE).
use the Knoppix Live CD , they are all comming in a single iso file.
then install knoppix to your HD or USB pen or use it as Live CD.

anyway if you are already finished some part of your project using you'r fav IDE then don't change your developer environment.Find some library that portable to your plactform. I guess there will be atleast one.

i already have fedora installed into my system so that isnt a problem at all . its just that i am finding difficulty in upgrading myself from an ancient turbo -c compiler to the latest GCC compiler and the IDE called code blocks .
so almost all my code which was working in turbo c doesn not function here , besides there isnt ne book that specifically teaches you for the GCC compiler , its all trial n error .

ne ways thanks for ur suggestion.

besides there isnt ne book that specifically teaches you for the GCC compiler , its all trial n error .

I disagree, all good books teach iso-standard C. Gcc sticks to this standard, so you have a lot of books to choose from.
Turbo has made up his own standards and that's why you're experiencing problems with the conversion of your programs. If you had programmed them in iso-standard-c in the first place, you wouldn't have any problems now...

well cant help it my school preferred using that ancient compiler.......

well cant help it my school preferred using that ancient compiler.......

Let me guess: You're from India?
I don't know why, but for some reason all people I meet from India (here) use turbo... Why don't the schools just use code::blocks or Visual Studio? They're both free of charge so that can't be the problem right?

Someone should enlighten the teachers...

well ur guess is absolutly right . i have so much insisted on usage of code blocks , but the fact is no one listens to me so i took the liberty on working with code blocks myself. so i find it a bit difficult getting adjusted to the iso c++ cuz it doesnt allow so many things.
i would be glad if you could recommend a book especially a person like me who was worked in c++ for like 2.5 yrs but only on the ancient compiler .

i would be glad if you could recommend a book especially a person like me who was worked in c++ for like 2.5 yrs but only on the ancient compiler .

Here's a good thread about it. Pick one you like :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.