hi
I need help with docking app to side of screen. Anyone have idea how to do? I have no clue. Any any terminology, code, tutorials you know of? I use Visual basic.
I am NOT refering to permanent positioning with form coordinates and not talking about docking controls within forms.
If i have another app on right side as well my app has to sit next to it.
Thanks
steve

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Do you have any code already written, if so, send it to me. Also, are you trying to dock your app TO THE SIDE OF THE SCREEN, or dock your app to the right side of ANOTHER APP? This, I need to know.

Do you have any code already written, if so, send it to me. Also, are you trying to dock your app TO THE SIDE OF THE SCREEN, or dock your app to the right side of ANOTHER APP? This, I need to know.

hi
no code yet. I am such a beginner. I am hoping for any info to get me going in right direction for researching it and understanding it. Most info i see is beyond me at this point in learning.

Maybe its more complicated than i think. basically I have app which is currently docked to right side of screen and i want my app to put itself in between that app and the right side of screen.
any thoughts?
thank
you. :-|

that's going to be pretty difficult, but it can be done. What you need to look at is called API's, but, until you know a fair amount about the concepts and structures of programming... it's a little more advanced. If you want to look into it for youself, look up API's, and findwindow, with movewindow. That is how I would do what you are trying to do. I'd use findwindow, to get the hWnd of the window that you want to move, then I'd use movewindow to move the window away from the right. Then I'd dock my app to the right, and use movewindow again (for the window that we first moved) and move it to the left side of my app. If you need further assistance, by way of code or advice, just ask or you can e-mail me by clicking my name on this page, and sending e-mail. Let me know what's going on.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.