Hello,

I am starting out with learning C# language. Recently, I bought a book "VISUAL C# 2005, How to Program by Deitel". Later I found that there is 2008 version of C#.

Would you please tell me what is the difference between these two versions of the language?

Is it okay if I start with 2005 version of C# ?
If there any additional textbooks good for beginners?

Please advice me.
Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

The language versions are called C# 2 and C# 3. It's perfectly fine to start with C# 2.

Basically it comes down to the difference between .Net 2.0 (2005) and .Net 3.5 (2008) Framework. Basically what you code in .Net 2.0 won't work the same if at all with .Net 3.5 framework. But fear not, with Visual Studio 2008 allows you to select .Net 2.0, .Net 3.0 or .Net 3.5 frame work to code in.

So feel free to start with .Net 2.0 (2005) but keep in mind, that this is older programming framework than 2008 so the code is not cross functionaly, but the principles are certainly a good building block.

Hope this helps

commented: thanks +5

Basically it comes down to the difference between .Net 2.0 (2005) and .Net 3.5 (2008) Framework. Basically what you code in .Net 2.0 won't work the same if at all with .Net 3.5 framework. But fear not, with Visual Studio 2008 allows you to select .Net 2.0, .Net 3.0 or .Net 3.5 frame work to code in.

So feel free to start with .Net 2.0 (2005) but keep in mind, that this is older programming framework than 2008 so the code is not cross functionaly, but the principles are certainly a good building block.

Hope this helps

The language versions are called C# 2 and C# 3. It's perfectly fine to start with C# 2.

Thanks very much. Now I understand the difference between this two versions of the language.

I think I'd better find the C#3 textbooks and start with them.

One more request;

Could u please suggest me the better textbooks for new learner?
Thanks, Regards!

Could u please suggest me the better textbooks for new learner?
Thanks, Regards!

Hi free_eagle,

one book that you can check out at Amazon is "Illustrated C# 2008" by Daniel Solis. It has gotten positive reviews because of its way of explaining the language. There is also a C# 2005 version of the book.

cheers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.