Hi there!

Ive been looking to get some help on a small script im writing to recover an encrypted word for homework.
Its a 5 character word of random capital letters encrypted with the RSA algorithm.
I undesrtand that Rsa is not a block cipher.
Its been encrypted in two 24 bit blocks .
I have the public key and the decimal values of the encrypted blocks.
I have to use a dictionary as well to use a search attack to recover the word.
I had some help with the script and i was able to build the script which i understand almost fully.

e=3;n=20149273                       # public key                 
table={}                  #dictionary                                                         

first="";second=""

for lett1 in range(65,91):         # looping from AAA to ZZZ
    for lett2 in range(65,91):
        for lett3 in range(65,91):
            plaintext=chr(lett1)+chr(lett2)+chr(lett3)
            block1=(lett1<<16) + (lett2<<8) + lett3          
            ciphtext=pow(block1,e,n)        # encryption
            table[plaintext]=ciphtext          # storing plain text and
                                                            #cipher text

for letter1 in range(65,91):                # looping from AA_ to ZZ_
    for letter2 in range(65,91):
        ptext=chr(letter1)+chr(letter2)+chr(32)
        block2=(letter1<<16) + (letter2<<8) + 32
        ctext=pow(block2,e,n)           
        table[ptext]=ctext          

for i in table.keys():                  # forward search using dictionary
    if table[i]==18864936:
        first = i
    if table[i]==14319312:
        second = i

print "The word is %s%s" %(first,second)

The word is stored in two blocks so we loop from AAA to ZZZ for the first 3 letters and from AA(space) to ZZ(space) as the third character in the second block is a space thus the 32 in the block encphering which is the ASCII value for space.
The cipher and the plain text are then stored in the dictionary created and using a forward search the word is recovered.
The part im having trouble to understand is the block enciphering

block1=(lett1<<16) + (lett2<<8) + lett3
block2=(letter1<<16) + (letter2<<8) + 32

How does the block enciphering part works? why do we multiply letter 1 and 2 by 2^16 and 2^8. Is it because the block has to be 24 bits? I also understand the number 32 in the second part is the space ASCII value.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You're not multiplying by 2^16 and 2^8 you're shifting by 16 and 8 bits, respectively.

By doing so (and then adding), you're able to fit the two letters into a single 16 bit block... or something like that.

By shifting letter1 16 bits to the left to make room for letters 2 and 3 and shifting letter 2 8 bits to make room for letter 3. So we have a 24 bit block with three 8 bit characters. Yep i got it. Thanks!

Why the shift is needed?

Answer:

The first integer value is shifted 16(=2*8) bits and the second 8 bits, such that when added together, it forms a 24 bit integer as shown here:
------------------------+
Here the 1s denote the ASCII value of the first letter, the 2s of the second and the 3s of the third. The .(dot) represents leading or trailing zeroes.

Block1=(c1<<16)+(c2<<8)+c3
We need to perform the bit shifting to combine our three 8-bit characters into a single 24-bit number, with the first character (c1) being in the most significant position(bits 16-24), followed by the second(bits 8-15) and then the third characters(bits 0-7). The third character (c3) does not need shifting as it is already in the least significant position.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.