I am trying to learn Python. I have browsed through a few tutorials and tried to follow them until they get too complex and I try to find another one to give a different perspective. I am currently trying (and very much enjoying) the very basic "How to Think Like A Computer Scientist" found on openbookproject.net. At the end of each chapter are a few "homework" assignments. I am hung up on one regarding functions. The assignment is: " Fill in the body of the function definition for cat_n_times so that it will print the string, s, n times:"

def cat_n_times(s, n):
    <fill in your code here>

I'm not realclear on how to do this and my attempts resulted in a myriad of errors trying to print variables only defined inside the function and one result that I think was the memory address of cat_n_times. I'm not so much looking for an answer as to why that is the answer. Thanks in advance for helping an old dog learn a new trick (or a whole bag full of them as far as programming goes)

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by txwooley

Python makes that easy ...

def cat_n_times(s, n):
    """print string s n times"""
    print s * n

s = 'hello '
n = 3
cat_n_times(s, n)

"""
my result -->
hello hello hello 
"""

Somewhat more traditional ...

def cat_n_times(s, n):
    """print string s n times"""
    for count in range(n):
        print s,

s = 'hello'
n = 3
cat_n_times(s, n)

"""
my result -->
hello hello hello 
"""

Note that the comma adds a space.

Thanks. Easy for you guys is not so much for us newbies. I think I was trying to make it more complicated than it needed to be and also to assign 's' and 'n' inside the function. Thanks again.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.