Hi, I am having some trouble with arrays.

I have an array of 5 elements. The values of the array are integers. I want to validate the input using an if statement. (the numbers must be between 10 and 100).

I then want to compare the user input to the unique numbers in the array using a for statement. I only want to store the new number if it is unique.

Please help, I'm desperate!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

show us your effort with some code and we will help

This is the code so far

public class array
{
//This gerts 5 unique numbers from the user
public void getNumbers()
{
Scanner input = new Scanner( System.in );

new int[5] //Constructing the array

int[] number = new int[5]; //Declaration of the array variable
int count = 0; // Number of uniques read
int entered = 0; // Number of numbers entered

//Checks whether the number entered has already been entered into the array, if it has then the following message is displayed:
while( entered < numbers.length )
{
System.out.print( "Enter number:" );
int[0] = input.nextInt;

if (int[] == number)

I'll go through each of the errors I see.

1) new int[5] //Constructing the array This line does nothing useful and is missing a semicolon. You should remove the line completely.

2) int[0] = input.nextInt This line should be using the variable name, not the variable type to reference the array. Also, you're missing parentheses after nextInt , also, you want to change the index each loop so you don't rewrite over element 0. Probably should be: number[entered] = input.nextInt(); 3) if (int[] == number) I have no idea what you're trying to do here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.