I'm trying GUI Library to see what fits me. I want to try GTK+ too. But I don't know where to start. At GTK+ site I took a look at C++ bindings http://www.gtkmm.org/ and found
* glibmm 2.20 (stable)
* gtkmm 2.16 (stable)
* libgnomecanvasmm (stable)
* gconfmm (stable)
* libgdamm
* libpanelappletmm 2.6 (unstable)
* gtkmm-hello 2.4
What is what? Which is which?? :)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I wonder if there are GTK+ users or my question isn't well framed!
To try elaborate, How do I need to try GTK+ with C++. What makes difference between GTK+ and gtkmm? How do I use it with CodeBlocks?

I'm trying wxWidgets right now, I will try GTK+ next then QT. But I don't know anything about how to go about GTK!

Member Avatar for iamthwee

You might be better asking this question in a GTK forum.

I used GTK+ in my application in C++, It provided me with a greater control over my GUI.
But that control came over the price of a very ugly looking code for a typical C++ programmer. Anyways, I managed to separate the GUI in different modules, So it didn't create problems.
Be sure to use GTK+ with GLADE/libGlade. You can download the latest glade designer. It will output a .glade file. You will need to convert in a xml using a python script.

>>I'm trying wxWidgets right now, I will try GTK+ next then QT. But I don't know
>>anything about how to go about GTK!
Why do you need to learn three GUI libraries? Why not master only one.

I haven't have a choice yet. I want to go for wxWidgets due to wxpython background. Before that I want to test The rest. How do you see guys, should I just start with wxWidgets and shut eyes on others? :)

>>should I just start with wxWidgets and shut eyes on others
Simply: Yes.
BTW, there is no point in learning different GUI libraries. It is always better to master one. GTK+ runs very smoothly on GNOME environment but it also run on Windows pretty well. But then, wxWidget uses the native libraries so it will be much a better choice.(Considering your wxPython background)
I rest the case.

Thanks Sir,
As far as I'm concerned. the case is closed!!
I will go for wxWidgets. Goodbye GTK+ and QT!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.