Hi guys,
I'm a complete newbie here and to VB.net in general. My friend for his company has written a program to tell if machines within his workplace are actually doing anything. The results from this are then shown in a text file, which I will show a small part of now:
Server to Check : AC01VS007c

Date Stamp : 26/06/2009

Time Stamp : 08:15

SQL Script Used : C:\Support\ServerChecks\Opp_SQL_Script.sql

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name

------------------------------

CES Manager 3.08.012

Name

SIS Translator 20.2.1

Name

Name

Name

CDS 22.1 WHO TR3

TODAYS DECLARATIONS

Number of Meetings

------------------

Number of BTG_OPTYS

-------------------

ODEC MESSAGES RECEIVED

Meetings

-----------

Events

-----------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server to Check : AC01VS014a

Name

CES Manager 3.11.006

Central System 20.0.3.0

Name

SIS Translator 20.2.1.2

Name

PA Translator 22.0.5.0

Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation.

Name

Name

CDS 22.1 WHO TR3

TODAYS DECLARATIONS

Number of Meetings

------------------

Number of BTG_OPTYS

-------------------

ODEC MESSAGES RECEIVED

Meetings

-----------

Events

-----------

Server to Check : AS02VS035S

Name

The problem with this is that it is very hard to read and takes unecessary time scrolling through to find whether it is working or not. If the meetings and events add up to 0 then obviously the machine isn't working.
What he has assigned me to do is put this information into a form which is simple and easy to read. I have successfully created a DataGridView which shows the Name of Machine, Status, Date Stamp and Time Stamp. However, this is only reproduced by entering the data manually into the source code eg.
[DataGridView1.Rows.Item(n).Cells(4).Value = "26/6/2009"
DataGridView1.Rows.Item(n).Cells(5).Value = "08:15"]
for Date and Time Stamps.
So what I'm trying to do is be able to change the program so it can search the text file for the machine name, add up all of the events and meetings for that machine and store it as an integer which can be updated straight to the DataGridView, and do the same for the Date Stamp and time Stamp. I hope all of this makes sense and I would really appreciate your help because I don't have a clue of where to start.

Altheriax,

I read your question. I am not giving any suggestion or advice regarding to programming because your post shows that. Yes, I have to say : learn .net framework and this (vb.net) language.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.